Cheap Flights to Lesotho
Lesotho, officially the Kingdom of Lesotho and formerly known as Basutoland is encircled by South Africa and was in 1822, under the rule of King Moshoeshoe I. The country comprises ten districts, each with a capital known as a camptown and managed by a district administrator. It is the only independent state in the world to lie entirely over 1,000 metres in elevation, making it globally the highest.
Significantly, water and diamonds are Lesotho’s natural resources. An estimated 240,000 carats of diamonds were produced from the Kao, Liqhobong, Mothae and Letseng mines during 2014 worth $300 million. On an average price per-carat basis, Letseng mine is the richest in the world.
Lesotho’s unscathed beauty of verdant valleys, mountains, rivers, waterfalls and high white peaks is paradise for anyone appreciating the outdoors. Its additionally well-known for its uncommon and incredible birdlife.
Lesotho has no less than 17 airports with Moshoeshoe International Airport (MSU) in Maseru being the busiest. Numerous airlines including SA Airlink, South African Airways, Air France, Thai Airways, Ethiopian Airlines and KLM fly to the Kingdom all of which offer cheap flights to Lesotho. South African passport holders need not apply for a visa to visit.
Maseru meaning place of the sandstone in Sesotho is the Capital and largest city in Lesotho, located on the Caledon River that separates the country from South Africa. Visitors have a good choice of hotels that include the AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino, The Victoria Hotel, The Palace Hotel as well as over 20 B&Bs, self-catering or backpacker establishments.
Cheapest One-Way Flights To Lesotho
|Route||Airline||Price||Trip dates||Search date|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Maseru||South African Airways||R1 384||23 Dec||16 Oct 08:05|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Maseru||South African Airways||R1 959||23 Jan||16 Oct 07:59|
|Flights from Cape Town to Maseru||South African Airways||R2 864||2 Nov||16 Oct 08:05|
|Flights from Durban to Maseru||South African Airways||R2 894||3 Feb||16 Oct 08:05|
|Flights from Durban to Maseru||Flysafair||R3 239||24 Mar||16 Oct 08:05|
|Flights from Cape Town to Maseru||South African Airways||R3 284||11 Jan||16 Oct 07:59|
|Flights from Cape Town to Maseru||Flysafair||R3 529||26 Oct||16 Oct 08:05|
|Flights from Durban to Maseru||South African Airways||R3 544||31 Oct||16 Oct 08:05|
Cheapest Return Flights To Lesotho
|Route||Airline||Price||Trip dates||Search date|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Maseru||South African Airways||R2 769||23 Dec||16 Oct 08:05|
|Flights from Cape Town to Maseru||South African Airways||R5 729||2 Nov||16 Oct 08:05|
|Flights from Durban to Maseru||South African Airways||R5 789||3 Feb||16 Oct 08:05|
|Flights from Durban to Maseru||Flysafair||R6 479||24 Mar||16 Oct 08:05|
|Flights from Cape Town to Maseru||Flysafair||R7 059||26 Oct||16 Oct 08:05|
Lesotho International Airport
Moshoeshoe I International Airport (MSU), Maseru 100, Lesotho
Weather In Lesotho
[wunderground location=”Maseru, Lesotho” numdays=”3″ layout=”simple” measurement=”c” showdata=”alert,daynames,pop,icon,text,conditions,date,highlow”]
Climate in Lesotho
Due to its altitude, Lesotho is cooler most of year compared to other areas with the same latitude. During summer, the country has thunderstorms that provide most of its rain while in Maseru, and the adjacent lowlands, temperatures frequently reach 35°C but winters can drop to as much as -7°C and the highlands, as low as -18°C. Snow is a regular occurrence in the highlands between May and September with higher peaks snow-tipped throughout the year.
When to Fly to Lesotho
If its snow you’re after, winter from May to September will be perfect, but cold with June and July the coldest! As winter ends and spring approaches, during August Alpine flowers clothe the mountains and the valleys are adorned with mimosa and peach blossoms.
Summer from October to April is warm, wet and pleasant with January and February being the hottest. If you really want to avoid rain, the best months are October and November or March and April.
Getting Around Lesotho
To get the most of your visit the best mode of transport is to hire a 4x4 vehicle. Although the country has an extensive road network, the only paved roads are those connecting the main cities. To ensure a successful and enjoyable journey, take necessary accessories including a spare tyre and a map! There are reputable car hire companies such as Avis, Europcar and Budget in Lesotho including many other local rental agencies.
The larger cities in Lesotho have public buses and taxi cabs. The bus service is reasonable but the network is slow.
The only way to fly around within Lesotho is via a charter aircraft from Maseru.
Lesotho Insider Information
- A drive to the highest dam in Africa, The Katse Dam in the Maluti Mountains on the Malibamatso River is well worth it. Take a tour of the Dam Wall or one of many other tours. On the way stop over in The Bokong Nature Reserve located at the top of the Mafika Disiu Pass. Catch a glimpse of the now protected Maloti Minnow, a small endangered fish and stay over in amazing accommodation created from rock.
- For striking sandstone formations, stunning displays of flowers and orchids in the thousands, visit Sehlabathebe meaning Shield of the Plateau, Lesotho’s first established National Park in the south-eastern corner. The park is home to small buck and birds including the Lammergeyer, a large bearded vulture. A lodge and campsite is available for an amazing overnight stay where pony treks can also be arranged.
- For skiing, Afri Ski is the highest ski resort in Africa and has a range of accommodation from affordable backpacker lodges to fancy cabins.
- For hikers or horse riders, located in an isolated area are the Ketane Falls, only accessible on horseback or foot. One of Lesotho’s most eye-catching regions, the falls drop 122m down narrow geological formations.
- The Tapestry Route in the lowlands takes you to weaving workshops where you’ll see first-hand how raw goat mohair is refined by hand, carded, spun, dyed and finally woven into exquisite rugs and tapestries.