Cheap Flights to George
The 6th oldest town in South Africa, George rests on a 10km plateau between the magnificent Outeniqua Mountains and the Indian Ocean with rivers, forests and an array of wild flowers surrounding it. Capital to the Southern Cape, it’s the hub of the Garden Route and by vehicle is in the middle between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth with Mossel Bay to the west, Knysna to the east and Pacaltsdorp to the south.
With wide streets, trees and flowers a sense of spaciousness is felt in George and it’s an easy place to find your way around. Known as the shopping Mecca of the Garden Route, George has the largest shopping centre, the Garden Route Mall, a fine selection of stores, banks, conference and sporting facilities, especially for golfers and numerous accommodation options to suit all needs.
There’s a good choice of coffee bars, restaurants, outdoor cafés and eateries to indulge your appetite in before or after you’ve enjoyed a movie at one of five cinemas, a show at one of the theatres or taken in some of the historical landmarks.
It’s of little consequence there’s no golden beach or a sparkling blue ocean in George as the coast is just 8km from the town with an abundance of marvellous bays and beaches to swim, surf or watch whales and dolphins.
Cheap Flights To George – One-way
|Route||Airline||Price||Trip dates||Search date|
|Flights from Johannesburg to George||Flysafair||R399||15 Oct||29 Jun 06:10|
|Flights from Lanseria (JNB) to George||Flysafair||R464||12 Apr||20 Jul 06:10|
|Flights from Lanseria (JNB) to George||Flysafair||R494||26 Aug||20 Jul 06:10|
|Flights from Johannesburg to George||Flysafair||R549||18 Aug||15 Aug 06:10|
|Flights from Cape Town to George||South African Airways||R1 109||5 Oct||6 Aug 06:10|
|Flights from Durban to George||Kulula||R1 129||26 Jan||15 Aug 06:10|
|Flights from Durban to George||Kulula||R1 139||25 Aug||15 Aug 06:10|
|Flights from Cape Town to George||South African Airways||R1 159||16 Aug||7 Aug 06:10|
|Flights from East London to George||Kulula||R1 449||28 Nov||14 Aug 06:10|
|Flights from Bloemfontein to George||Cemair||R1 609||17 Aug||29 Jun 06:10|
Cheap Flights To George – Return
|Route||Airline||Price||Trip dates||Search date|
|Flights from Johannesburg to George||Flysafair||R798||15 Oct||29 Jun 06:10|
|Flights from Lanseria (JNB) to George||Flysafair||R988||26 Aug||20 Jul 06:10|
|Flights from Cape Town to George||South African Airways||R2 218||5 Oct||6 Aug 06:10|
|Flights from Durban to George||Kulula||R2 258||26 Jan||15 Aug 06:10|
|Flights from Bloemfontein to George||Cemair||R3 498||2 Nov||21 Jul 06:10|
|Flights from Port Elizabeth to George||British Airways||R3 888||31 Aug||15 Aug 06:10|
|Flights from Kimberley to George||South African Airways||R4 128||23 Oct||31 Mar 06:10|
|Flights from Pietermaritzburg to George||South African Airways||R4 458||1 Sep||12 May 06:10|
|Flights from East London to George||South African Airways||R4 668||23 Dec||15 Aug 17:34|
|Flights from Port Elizabeth to George||South African Airways||R5 078||20 Oct||28 May 06:10|
When to fly
For fun in the sun and surf, summer is always the best time to fly to George but cheap flights to George and accommodation will be hard to find as they will during the winter month of July when the one-day Knysna Forest Marathon takes place along with the extremely popular ten day Knysna Oyster Festival including the seven day Rastafarian Earth Festival towards the end of the month. To get the best rates, book your cheap air flight and accommodation ahead of time.
George has a Mediterranean Maritime climate with summer from November to March while December to February has 24 to 30°C temperatures, perfect for the beach. Autumn from April starts to cool down but is still enjoyable while winter from June to August has sunny, warm days but get cold as evening approaches, along with plenty of rainfall. Spring from late August to October can be a mixture of warmth and cold.
Getting around George
Visitors wanting to just get around George can take the Go George bus service that is affordable, reliable and safe and also caters for disabled persons. Those that prefer driving themselves can hire a rental vehicle from Budget, Avis or Thrifty including others or take a private taxi. Many visitors prefer exploring the city on foot.
Getting downtown from the airport
As George Airport is only 7km from the city centre it wont cost that much to hire a private cab or rent a vehicle from one of many reputable rental agencies. Many hotels and accommodation establishment also provide a pick-up and drop-off service for their guests.
George – Inside information
- Take photos of an old English Oak, a national monument and known as the Slave Tree due to a large chain and lock embedded into the trunk.
- For a great example of Edwardian architecture visit The King Edward III Library.
- The Garden Route Botanical Garden at the top of Caledon Street in George is said to be a photographer’s paradise and the perfect setting for families to spend quality time with nature. A hiking trail provides visuals of plants not often seen and guided walks enlighten visitors with history dating back two hundred years with original storage dams and water furrows still visible including information on plants and birds in the area. You can relax in the tea garden, pop into the Botanical Library or visit the Moriarty Environmental Centre that houses the Southern Cape Herbarium.
- Do a circular drive from George over the Montagu Pass via the Outeniqua Pass. The first explorer to traverse the rocky Outeniqua Pass was Hieronymus Cruse in 1668. The Montagu Pass, a national monument, was constructed by 250 convicts over a four-year period with completion in 1857.
- On for 11 days is the Plett Rage in Plettenberg Bay from 27th Be one of thousands of young adults at the largest student festival in the country with six amazing venues and some of the best South African bands to party to besides playing soccer, volleyball and much more.