Cheap Flights to France
Located in Western Europe, France spans 640,679km² and has borders with Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Spain. France comprises tranquil villages, medieval and port cities, beaches, mountains and is renowned for its wines and sophisticated cuisine.
With more than 70 airports around the country, Charles de Gaulle in Paris is the busiest. Visitors to France from South Africa can fly with a number of airlines offering cheap flights to France, some of which include KLM, Air France, Etihad and South African Airways.
The capital city Paris, famous for the Eiffel Tower is a major European city and the heart of fashion houses, classical art museums, culinary art and culture. The cityscape is crisscrossed by boulevards and the River Seine and eminent for its designer boutiques along the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.
With a rich history, present day Marseille was founded in 600 BC by Ionian Greeks initially from Phocaea, making it Frances oldest city. Lyon in the Rhône-Alps region, situated at the convergence of the Rhône and Saône rivers, has a city centre that reflects 2,000 years of history. Bordeaux in south-western France is a port city on the Garonne and focal point of the wine-growing region. It’s well known for its numerous fine and contemporary art museums and 18th/19th century mansions. The river quays are lined with public gardens and the city is home to the Bordeaux Cathedral, Musée dAquitaine and the Grand Théâtre de Bordeaux.
Cheapest One-Way Flights To Paris, France
|Route||Airline||Price||Trip dates||Search date|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Paris Metropolitan Area||Etihad Airways||R2 699||4 Jun||12 Apr 06:10|
|Flights from Cape Town to Paris Metropolitan Area||Kenya Airways||R2 934||16 May||16 Apr 06:10|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Paris Metropolitan Area||Ethiopian Airlines||R3 064||16 May||31 Mar 06:10|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Paris Metropolitan Area||Kenya Airways||R3 194||6 May||21 Apr 06:10|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Paris Metropolitan Area||KLM||R3 219||4 May||29 Mar 12:11|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Paris Metropolitan Area||Kenya Airways||R3 224||25 Apr||3 Apr 06:10|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Paris Metropolitan Area||Alitalia||R3 229||10 Jun||21 Apr 07:36|
|Flights from Durban to Paris Metropolitan Area||Emirates||R3 299||7 Jun||17 Apr 06:10|
|Flights from Durban to Paris Metropolitan Area||Etihad Airways||R3 494||30 Oct||30 Mar 06:10|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Paris Metropolitan Area||Emirates||R3 874||25 May||21 Apr 07:36|
Cheapest Return Flights To Paris, France
|Route||Airline||Price||Trip dates||Search date|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Paris Metropolitan Area||Etihad Airways||R5 399||4 Jun||12 Apr 06:10|
|Flights from Cape Town to Paris Metropolitan Area||Kenya Airways||R5 869||16 May||16 Apr 06:10|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Paris Metropolitan Area||Ethiopian Airlines||R6 129||16 May||31 Mar 06:10|
|Flights from Johannesburg to Paris Metropolitan Area||Kenya Airways||R6 389||6 May||21 Apr 06:10|
|Flights from Durban to Paris Metropolitan Area||Emirates||R6 599||7 Jun||17 Apr 06:10|
|Flights from Durban to Paris Metropolitan Area||Etihad Airways||R6 989||30 Oct||30 Mar 06:10|
|Flights from Durban to Paris Metropolitan Area||Kulula||R8 139||13 May||21 Apr 07:36|
|Flights from Durban to Paris Metropolitan Area||Ethiopian Airlines||R8 519||20 Jun||15 Apr 06:10|
Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport, France
Orly Airport, France
Nice Airport, France
Spring : March to June
Summer : June to September
Autumn : September to December
Winter : December to March
France experiences cold winters with mild summers but along the French Riviera and south-west of France, summers are hot with mild winters. The mountainous regions of the Alps, Pyrenees and Auvergne have plenty of snowfall during winter.
When to fly to France
The ideal time to visit Paris in spring is from 21st March to 21st June with temperatures during May around 20°C and rainfall every third day. Accommodation over this period is expensive.
A popular summer month to visit Paris is June when average temperatures reach 25°C with rain every fifth day. Being the high season its expensive.
If you dont mind wet, overcast and windy weather, visiting during autumn is more relaxed with fewer tourists but the most inexpensive time for Paris is during winter, its cold and wet with daytime temperatures rarely falling to below freezing and occasional snowfall.
Getting around France
The best way to get around France, other than in a hired vehicle is by rail. With an excellent train network run by the national operator SNCF, its’ a popular mode of travel with ticket fares varying according to comfort, class and time of departure. The TGV (Train de Grande Vitesse) is a high speed train that travels at a speed of 300km per hour, taking just three hours from Paris to Bordeaux. When purchasing train cards, travellers save up to 60 per cent, beneficial for large families. Ouigo is a low-cost train that runs between Paris and the south of France but there are also other slow overnight trains with fairly comfortable 6-bunk compartments, clean sheets and blankets. Purchasing your train tickets early gets you cheaper rates including purchasing via Voyages-SNCF, the official online ticket distributor.
France – insider information
- In Paris, visit the Louvre Palace, stroll through manicured lawns in the Luxemburg Gardens or relax under towering trees at the Parc des Buttes-Chaumont.
- Historians cannot miss the Roman theatre in Lyon or the enormous Palace of Versailles.
- The Parc du Château affords a stunning view of Nice, the port and the Baie des Anges, with its location on a rocky outcrop above the city. The Cascade Donjon, an artificial 18th century waterfall with a viewing platform and children’s playground is ideal for picnics and pop over to the Russian St Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral that opened in 1912.
- In Bordeaux, enjoy opera, dance or music at the Grand Théâtre de Bordeaux that opened in 1780 with La Fille Mal Gardée premiering in 1789, and a must is the Église Sainte-Crois, a Roman Catholic abbey built in the early 11th/12th The Basilica of St. Michael built between the 14th and 16th century has its pulpit symbolising Saint Michael slaying the dragon.
- Have a sweeping view of the Rhine River in Strasbourg while visiting the 12th century Gothic Notre-Dame cathedral.
- Take in the 15th century Château des Ducs de Bretagne in Nantes, home to the Dukes of Brittany and the Nantes Cathedral that opened in 1891.
- Fourvière in Lyon offers the site of the original Roman settlement of Lugdunum and Lyon offers historians a Roman amphitheatre, medieval and Renaissance architecture in Vieux Lyon.