Cheap Flights to Belgium
Belgium shares borders with Germany, France, the Netherlands and Luxembourg with its highest point formed by the Signal de Botrange at 694m and is a myriad of spectacular aged buildings. Known for its medieval towns, Flemish Renaissance architecture, its divided into two distinct multilingual regions, French-speaking Wallonia to the south and Dutch-speaking Flanders to the north.
The name Belgium is derived from Gallia Belgica, once a Roman province in northern Gaul that prior to the Roman invasion in 100 BC, was inhabited by the Belgae a mixture of Celtic and Germanic people.
The capital city Brussels is home to the European Union headquarters. It has in the heart of its city the Grand-Place with shops and cafes inside 17th century guild-houses. Relax in one of 22 nature parks, visit one or more of eighty museums and over 130 landmarks and sights. There are loads of luxury and inexpensive hotels including backpacker hostels for visitors. The city has an array of bars, clubs discos and plenty of places to shop!
Cheapest One-Way Flights To Brussels
[insert_php] $notiflyurl = “http://notifly.smartclient.co.za/Table/GetFlights/?to=BRU&tofromdomestic=yes&style=city5&direction=oneway&limit=10&type=international&col1width=30%&col2width=20%&col3width=15%&col4width=15%&col5width=20%&site=cfisa&orderby=price&orderbydirection=asc”; $notiflyurl = str_replace(“amp;”,””,$notiflyurl); $curl = curl_init(); curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_URL, $notiflyurl); curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1); $content = curl_exec($curl); curl_close($curl); echo($content); [/insert_php]
Cheapest Return Flights To Brussels
[insert_php] $notiflyurl = “http://notifly.smartclient.co.za/Table/GetFlights/?to=BRU&tofromdomestic=yes&style=city5&direction=return&limit=10&type=international&col1width=30%&col2width=20%&col3width=15%&col4width=15%&col5width=20%&site=cfisa&orderby=price&orderbydirection=asc”; $notiflyurl = str_replace(“amp;”,””,$notiflyurl); $curl = curl_init(); curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_URL, $notiflyurl); curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1); $content = curl_exec($curl); curl_close($curl); echo($content); [/insert_php]
Antwerp International Airport, Belgium
Brussels Airport, Belgium
Weather Brussels, Belgium
[wunderground location=”Brussels, Belgium” numdays=”3″ layout=”simple” measurement=”c” showdata=”alert,daynames,pop,icon,text,conditions,date,highlow”]
It rains a lot, but with fewer downpours than showers. Temperatures during December and January are the lowest at 6°C while July and August average the highest at 23°C.
When to fly to Belgium
June to August is summer with autumn in September followed by winter and spring from March to May. Mid-April to mid-October is the in season where you will find that cheap flights to Belgium are hard to find due to high demand, while July and August is peak season with hot sunny days, busy sidewalks cafes and travel plans needing to be made in advance. September usually provides a few weeks of pleasant late-summer weather.
Getting around Belgium
Day trips by rail and the fast Intercity (IC) trains from Brussels reach all major tourist destinations with Antwerp only 29 minutes away. The InterRegio (IR) trains are slower while Local (L) trains are very slow, stopping at each station. Only the Ardennes has fewer railway lines necessitating bus travel. A worthwhile purchase is a Rail Pass with 10 single journeys costing $114 for 2nd class, or a discounted weekend ticket for travel from 19h00 on Fridays to midnight on Sundays, extendable over national holiday long weekends. Also check out Minitrips, one day excursion tickets to primary sights at discounted prices. If you fancy cycling, primary and a few minor railway stations have bicycles for rental, consider the Train+Vélo/Trein+Fiets formula, reserving your bicycle when buying your ticket.
All major towns and cities have excellent bus services with regional buses available throughout Belgium.
It’s easy for travellers to get around by car with superb driving conditions and first-rate roads, except for Belgian drivers, who drive fast and aggressively. Car hire is available from Budget, Avis, Hertz and Europcar, all having desks at Brussels Airport and agencies in major cities.
Metered taxis can be booked by phone and are located at airports and major train stations but it’s virtually impossible to flag down a taxi and tipping is unnecessary.
Belgium – insider information
- Any musician will appreciate the famous Musical Instruments Museum with a collection of more than 8,000 instruments.
- The beautiful Cathedral of St. Michael and St. Gudula dates back the 9th century, a sight to behold with Gothic architecture and its 64m tall towers.
- The Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and Military History, one of the largest in the world, is located in the historic Cinquantenaire Park and houses around one hundred thousand items.
- Sablon or Zavel, a cultural centrepiece has within its heart twin squares, one of which is the larger Place du Grand Sablon with extraordinarily beautiful houses from the 16th century, the 18th century Fountain of Minerva, restaurants, chocolatiers and an antique market that comes alive on weekends.
- The Palace of Coudenberg, one of Charles Vs main residences, was from the 12th century altered by successive monarchs from a small equipped castle into an extravagant palace.
- In Wallonia visit areas off the beaten track by walking, cycling or horseback riding on a specialised network (RAVeL) of paths made up from disused rail and tram routes. Known as the smallest town on earth, Durbuy dates back to the 17th century with its narrow and cobbled streets winding between olden homes and is renowned for exceptional food. Charleroi is the largest city in Wallonia, 3rd largest in the country with the 2nd largest airport in Belgium.
- Ostend, a cosmopolitan city in West-Flanders is the largest coastal city with over five miles of sandy beaches, a harbour and yacht basin.
- Leuven, ancient capital to the province of Flemish Brabant is home to the oldest and largest university in Belgium, founded in 1425.